This little beauty is my finished Watson 2.0. Over all I was really pleased with the make and both the fit and finish were much improved on my original version. This version offered not only more support, but also an improved shape compared to the last one which is exactly what I was hoping for.
The main difference between this version and my first was the change in size, making the band smaller so that I had a snugger and more supportive fit. I think that changing the fabric to the thick scuba knit rather then the thinner stretch mesh I had used previously also helped with that.
I also changed up the straps so that they altered at the back rather then at the front as I don’t find it comfortable when the sliders sit on my shoulders. This was a simple change but made the world of difference to how comfortable the bra was when it’s on.
This bra was also a bit of an experimentation as it was the first time I was working with the scuba fabric and I have to say, I HATED it. Although it was pretty easy to sew with and did create a nice shape (on the bra at least, I found it came out quite baggy on the knickers) it was just a complete pain. I found it pulled on EVERYTHING, the foot of my sewing machine, my finger nails, bits of paper on my desk, EVERYTHING. I also ended up completely having to re-cut my bridge piece as my first attempt at sewing it together resulted in my sewing machine needle (One I thought was stretch but it turned out was not) pulling all the way along the piece.
Once the bra was complete, I also found that although it created a nice shape, the scuba was really bulky. This meant in areas such as the top of the cups where it attached the straps and the middle of the cups where they meet at a point, I wasn’t able to fold the fabric under and hide the raw edges as I would normally like to. Since none of the fabrics fray it was no big deal – just personal preference for making everything as neat as possible!
So my ultimate decision is, though I feel the scuba is fine for more casual styles such as this non wired Watson, I don’t think I would rush to use it again. I do however have a lot of this fabric left, and as the pattern is so beautiful I will definitely be using it up on my next couple of makes where appropriate!